Looking for a quick lunch or dinner fix that's heavy on flavor, but light on sinful ingredients? This shrimp and kale pita packed with some good-for-you veggies will help you get on right track to lowering that extra poundage without making you give up your tasty food addiction.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
What You Need:
1/2 cup of plain low-fat yogurt
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1 small clove of garlic, finely grated
1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 small bunch of kale, leaves thinly sliced and stems removed
3/4 lb of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 15-oz, no-salt-added can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 pieces of pita bread, halved
- Preheat your broiler.
- Whisk the yogurt, 2 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, 1/4 tsp of salt and the cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the kale, toss to coat, and set aside at room temperature.
- Toss the shrimp with the rest of the 1/2 tbsp of olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Broil until it's cooked through (4-5 minutes) and let cool slightly.
- Add the shrimp, chickpeas, tomatoes, and red onion to the large bowl with kale and toss to coat.
- Stack the pitas on a plate and warm in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds.
- Fill with the shrimp and kale mixture and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine